Tuesday, July 24, 2007

I love Nora Ephron


She is hysterical. I loved this book. I laughed aloud (especially at the article about purses), and I connected emotionally to her final essay about death.

I read several Amazon "reviews" about the book, most written by people who loved the book. But I also read the reviews by people who were really disappointed by it--and you know? They made me angry! I get so defensive when I really like a book and someone disses it. Some described it as vapid and too short. Vapid? Are you kidding me? And it is what it is, length wise. She said what she had to say and what she wanted to say, and then she was done.

The thing is, I connected with this collection of essays more than I thought I would. She is writing about being over 60 much of the time, and I still have 23 years before 60. Nevertheless, I have been going through such a crisis about age and death since the birth of my last baby. And Ephron found me there, and she made my laugh at it, and she validated it and she made me sad about it. Thank you, Nora Ephron. I hope you stay well, and later die well. I think you'd know what I mean by that.

No comments: